Emmanuel Tunde January 1, 2023 3 minutes, 36 seconds
4.6K views 0 Comments 1 Like 0 Reviews
Cristiano Ronaldo signs a sensational contract with Saudi side Al-Nassr, according to reports in Saudi Arabia… with the Portuguese star ‘set to earn £175m-a-year’ after his bitter Man United exit in November after bombshell Piers Morgan interview.
Al-Nassr is one of the most successful clubs in Saudi Arabia, having been crowned winners of the country’s top flight nine times, with their most recent triumph coming in 2019.
Ronaldo had admitted rumours of a €350m (£310m) offer for two seasons from an unnamed Saudi Arabian club in the summer were true – an offer he had declined.
Ronaldo had previously been linked with the likes of Chelsea, Atletico Madrid and Napoli after stunning United officials by telling the club he wanted out in the summer transfer window.
His exit following a mixed second spell at the club was agreed upon by mutual consent but Sportsmail revealed United did not pay any compensation for the remaining seven months of his £500,000-a-week contract at Old Trafford.
United’s lawyers had been looking to tear up his deal in response to the interview. In the sitdown with Morgan, Ronaldo said he felt betrayed by the club and had no respect for United boss Erik ten Hag.
Ronaldo also aimed the Glazers’ running at United and his teammates. The decision to part ways with the Portuguese star came just four days after the second part of the interview aired and was made by Ten Hag, the Glazers, chief executive Richard Arnold and football director John Murtough.
It had earlier been revealed that Ronaldo instigated the interview which ultimately led to the club cutting ties with a player whose first spell at Old Trafford ensures he retains legendary status among the United fanbase.
Ronaldo’s issues continued at the World Cup in Qatar. There were reports the 37-year-old wanted to walk out of the tournament after he was dropped for Portugal’s round-of-16 clash with Switzerland following tense talks with manager Fernando Santos, but these claims were denied by the player and the Portuguese FA.
Ronaldo did not travel home with the rest of the Portugal squad, instead flying back with his family on a private jet. He then went to Real Madrid’s Valdebebas base to train alone during his search for a new club.
Ronaldo, who spent nine years at Real before leaving in 2018, was permitted to use the club’s training ground by president Florentino Perez but was told he could not join members of Carlo Ancelotti’s first team.
Share this page with your family and friends.